The advancement in science and technology and has done nothing to make old wives’ tales disappear. Sure you get a lot of advice, especially from old grannies. It’s important not to believe everything that you hear. Here are some common myths that are still doing the rounds at pregnant women’s homes:
- No sex during pregnancy-The baby is coated in several layers of amniotic fluid, its sac and is thus safe. In most cases, sex is safe. Sex should be avoided in risky pregnancies. It is always safer to get your doctor’s consent before you perform the act.
- Position of the baby bump determines the sex of the baby-It is believed that women carrying their bump low are carrying girls and those carrying it high are having boys.The bump dropping is actually a sign of the delivery nearing. Only an ultrasound can determine the sex of the baby.
- Pregnant women should eat for two-A well balanced diet is all you need. A baby in the womb needs only about an extra 300 calories, which can be done by adding a snack or to your existing diet.
- Certain foods can induce labor-There is no evidence to indicate that eating spicy food or food with heat speedens up the labor process. So if you’re grandma is stuffing you with dates and saffron, you can be sure that it’s not going to work.
- Eclipse causes cleft lip-Going out during an eclipse will not result in your baby being born with a cleft lip.
- Caffeine causes miscarriage-A mug or two of coffee will not cause any harm to the baby. So enjoy your daily dose of caffeine in limit.
- You can’t give natural birth after a ‘C’ section-Vaginal birth is an option for women even if they have had a ‘C’ section delivery. The doctor can advice you on the same.
- A natural birth is best-A natural child birth need not always be the best way. Safety of the mother and child should be the priority in determining whether to go in for a normal or ‘C’ section delivery.
- Pregnant women should not consume seafood-As long as you are not consuming too much tuna or seafood high in minerals such as swordfish, fish is actually good for the baby. Fish high in Omega-3fatty acids are said to help in developing the brain of the baby.
- The first delivery always goes beyond the due date-In reality, the factors that determine due date is the duration of your menstrual cycle and its occurrence.
Now that you know the truth behind these old wives tales, relax and take good care of yourself and prepare for the entry of your baby in the world.