Pregnancy is the most important phase of the life for every would be mother. A would be mom faces lots of challenges during this phase with lots of doubts in her mind. For a healthy pregnancy and delivery, nutritious diet is necessary. During pregnancy, what you eat, directly affects your child’s health and hence, nutritious diet is essential for the growth of your baby. Avoid junk food which does not contain nutrients. You should know what is good for your health and what you should avoid.
It is important to ensure that your baby is getting nutrients which is required. If you have doubts regarding what you should eat, then here we share what is good for you and what is not.
The food, which is good for you during pregnancy
- Leafy Vegetables-Fresh and leafy vegetables contain vitamin A, C, K. It promotes eye health.
- Colorful fruits-Colorful fruits provide fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Whole grains-Whole grains are rich is nutrients such as vitamin E and fiber.
- Milk and low fat dairy products-Dairy products such as curd, yogurt, buttermilk and cottage cheese are rich in protein, calcium, and vitamin B 12. Calcium is important for bone development of the baby.
- Eggs-Apart from vitamins and minerals, eggs are rich in protein, which is essential for the baby. The choline in eggs, support the overall growth of the baby. DHA enriched eggs contains omega 3 fats, necessary for vision and brain development. Eggs have less saturated fat. Completely cooked eggs are healthier option for a pregnant woman.
- Lean meat-Lean meat is a good source of protein. Make sure to cook it properly.
- Salmon-It is a good source of omega 3 fats and high quality protein with vitamin B6. It contains very less methyl mercury. Mercury is harmful for the baby’s development.
- Fats and oils-Vegetable oil, which contains unsaturated fat, which is good for health. As per experts, good fat is necessary for developing brain and nervous system. Nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocados and fish oil are some sources of good fat.
The foods you should eliminate from your diet.
- Raw eggs-Raw eggs, unpasteurized eggnog, raw cookie dough, Caesar salad dressing and the foods which contain raw eggs such as mayonnaise. Uncooked or raw eggs contains the bacteria, parasites and viruses, which may cause vomiting, fever and diarrhea. Completely boiled/fried/cooked eggs are safe to eat.
- Raw meat-Avoid raw meat like sushi, uncooked beef, seafood. Because of the bacteria and salmonella, eating raw meat is a risk to health. Cooked meat is a better option.
- Some Fish varieties-Fish such as shark, swordfish, tilefish, etc. contain high levels of mercury as compared to other types of fish. Mercury affects the brain and nervous system of the baby.
- Unpasteurized dairy products-Pasteurization is the process, which kills the toxins and bacteria. So avoid unpasteurized dairy products, which may contain Listeria bacteria, that causes Listeriosis. This results in stillbirth, miscarriage or any other health problem.
- Raw vegetable sprouts-Bacteria may get into the vegetable sprout seeds. So you should not include raw vegetable sprouts such as mung beans, radish, clover, alfalfa in your diet.
So, now, you know what is essential for you and your little one growing inside your body. Follow above tips, get enough rest. Have a healthy food and enjoy your pregnancy. Best of luck!