5 Tips to Maintain your Freezer
Most of us tend to neglect our freezers. We actually get lazy. The thought of switching off the freezer, then emptying it and then the actual cleanup can take forever.
But let me tell you that it is important to clean your freezer if you want your freezer to work efficiently and more importantly for the food stored to be kept in sanitary conditions and preserved good enough for you to eat.
Vacuum the condenser coils
- It is not only important to clean the insides of your freezer. The exterior also should be cleaned.
- Move the refrigerator away from the wall and unplug. Use a dry brush and brush off all the dust and dirt on the coils.
- This will keep the mechanisms of your fridge running smoothly and efficiently and not make it take the extra effort to cool your food.
- Do not forget to keep a minimum three inch gap between the wall and the back of the refrigerator.
- Maintain the right temperature in your freezer at all times. The ideal temperature of a freezer is said to be zero degrees Fahrenheit. Stick a thermometer overnight in the freezer in a cup of oil. If the temperature still remains warm, you can consider lowering the temperature.
- Also check if the rubber of the freezer is proper, so that it doesn’t allow the cold to escape. The best way to check this is to stick a paper in the door and see if it’s tightly jammed.
- If it’s not tight, then there is a slight escape of cold air that is not allowing your freezer to work efficiently.
- Clean the interiors at least three times a year. You do not need to switch off the freezer to clean it.
- Use a sponge and dish washing liquid to clean it. If the odor doesn’t come off them consider using a solution of baking powder and water to get the freezer smell nice again.
Water filed bottles
- If your freezer is empty or doesn’t have much stuff then there is a way in which you can maximize cooling and become more energy efficient.
- Simply fill empty plastic water bottles with water and place in the empty compartments of the freezer. This will help maintain the optimum temperature and even reduce the amount of energy that the freezer needs to cool itself.
So keep the freezer of yours clean and working in top condition.