We spend many years and months of our life, deciding about career we should choose and then work towards it. It is an important decision. Our parents, friends and family support us as we spend tons of money and time in training and education related to the same career. But sometime people may feel when they are over the age of 40 and before 50 that they have selected the wrong profession. Some may experience this change due to the layoffs or some go through the mid life crisis and need an urge to reinvent themselves professionally. Even if you are forced to have one or it is your choice of selecting a new career, believe me, you have made the right choice and will realize it later in life.Mid Life career is becoming a common fad as compared to the previous generations. People may find that they are living a healthy and happy life because they decided to make this decision.
There are many reasons why a mid career change may happen
- There is a need to work past your retirement age as there are financial liabilities and responsibilities. The age when people get married, has reached 40 and by the time the children leave the house the parents are 60. Financial responsibilities may not be the only reason for the change in the career. Some of them are not obligated to work and so they try their hand with their hobbies. They want to concentrate their passions and so they want a mid career change.
- Be realistic about your goals and understand the family’s current situation. Analyze the total finances and future planning of the family. Make sure that the career you are planning to have is not seen through the tinted glasses, but you have discussed the pros and cons with a person who is already working in the profession.
- Develop a strategy or a plan about where you want to go and how can you go? People may just get overwhelmed by the thought of changing careers, but take smaller steps by starting the career on a part time basis.
- Understand your strengths, weaknesses and highlights about your personal life and career. You should have solid awareness and research about the industry you are going to enter. Use a career guide that may direct you in a professional way. It may also help you choose the right mid life career with your future vision and a career that perfectly suits your requirements.
- If you have some experience, take advantage of the experience that you have. Using this experience in the Mid career change can be a major advantage as any kind of professional experience can never be earned from a school textbook.
Remember, that having a change in life is not bad. If you fit in a new career and if that change can make you happier and satisfied in life, and then go for it. Today, most of the companies prefer hiring older workers than the young ones. But take the decision wisely and above tips will help you in this regards. Best of luck.