With the world advancing at the speed of a rocket, it is no wonder there are multiple birth control options available for women today. Therefore, why take unnecessary stress or risk of failing to prevent a pregnancy when there are various alternatives easily available in the market.
- Condoms-In order to prevent a pregnancy, there are condoms available both for men as well as women. These not only perform the primary function, but also prevent passing on infections and diseases, such as STD and HIV. Women can now get better birth control by using the condom in the best way.
- Diaphragm-This is a flexible cup which needs to be placed in the vagina for blocking the sperm from entering the uterus. A woman may have to visit the doctor to check if any holes have developed in the cup at least once in every 1 or 2 years. Better the fit of the cup, higher the chances will be of preventing a pregnancy.
- Pills-A wide range of birth control pills have been developed to prevent pregnancies. A woman can pick the progestin ones or even those that combine estrogen and progestin. Additionally, they also help in reducing the pain experienced during menstruation, decrease symptoms of premenstrual symptoms, and make the flow of periods lighter too.
- Patch Vs Ring-Patch is a small plastic piece to be placed on the torso, buttock, arm and stomach to be replaced weekly. Ring is a flexible device (small in size) which needs to be placed in the vagina for about three weeks. These work quite similar to the effect of pills, but are comparatively quite convenient. Its continuous usage has not resulted in any sort of side effects so far. However, one should opt for these after proper consultation of a gynecologist.
- Hormone Injection-A woman can get hormone injection from an experienced doctor or gynecologist to prevent pregnancy for three months with just one injection.
- Intrauterine Device-The Intrauterine Device also known as IUD is a plastic piece in the shape of T and is inserted in the uterus by a doctor. The copper IUDs can be retained inside for about twelve years while the IUDs including hormones can be left inside for about five years. The choice is to be made by the concerned woman.
- Implantation of Hormones-This is a form of contraception, which includes progestin and is inserted right under the skin of the upper arm by a doctor. It is a piece of plastic approximately of the matchstick size, which prevents pregnancy for about three years.
- Fertility Awareness-If a woman keeps the right track of her menstrual cycle, cervical mucus, and body temperature, she may well know when to use a birth control. This means no worry about prescriptions or hormones for preventing of pregnancy.
Conclusion At such a time when a woman desires to use any of these or other birth control measures, it is quite essential for her to check with her doctor. Few methods may not be suitable to her keeping in mind her medical history and others may also pose a risk to her health. Hence, no woman should blindly follow any advices. Be smart, read, and gather information, approach the family doctor, and implement the most suitable options for the purpose of birth control.