Having a baby is thrilling… But getting pregnant in the 40s is not easy and hence many women target parenthood and plan the pregnancy with accurate planning and in depth research. These days one will find careerist women who purposely take a conscious decision of starting a family late, as handling pregnancy is not an easy job as fertility decreases. But still the number of would be mothers above 40 age are increasing.
Here are some tips on handling a pregnancy in 40s :
- A specialist doctor should be visited regularly till the time the baby is born. Or a genetic counseling can be done to understand birth defect in babies due to more maternal age of mothers. A doctor should be visited who will think of normal delivery at the time of birth.
- Nutritious and balanced diet including fruits should be consumed
- Should drink sufficient quality of water daily, as it keeps the skin hydrated
- Calcium and folic acids should be consumed to avoid abnormality in the baby and avoid neural tube defects
- Light exercises should be done by not stressing oneself. Also going for a walk daily is useful. You should consult your doctor before starting any kind of exercises.
- Alcoholic beverages, drugs and smoking should be avoided
- Before planning the baby or after conceiving all medical tests should be carried
- Genetic testing should be done to screen the neural tube defects
- An early prenatal care is a must to have safe and happy birth
- Pregnancy is a roller coaster of financial, physical, emotional rides and hence should be planned
- Pregnancy is exciting for most of us, but before the baby is born space considerations in the house should be taken care of.
Benefits of pregnancy at 40 – A woman who gets pregnant in her 40s is financially sound, she must have grown mature with age, must have got time to know the partner and settle down in her carrier. Such circumstances help in building a strong base for raising kids. It is seen that the older mother makes a good parent, also it is found that women who give birth to a baby during their job tenure tend to join immediately, as they are connected to the organization.
Non-Benefits of pregnancy at 40 – Getting pregnant at a later age like 40+ can create complications in the pregnancy. They can be mostly diabetes, blood pressure, placenta problems, amniotic fluid problem and other difficulties. The study proves that mothers above 40 have 5% more likely the chance of suffering with diabetes. Such issues can result in giving birth to a pre-mature baby or a low weight baby. Scientific study has proved that pre-term babies or low weight babies are at risk of suffering with diabetes or high blood pressure.
It is observed that most of the mothers who follow these basic tips on handling a pregnancy feel more comfortable emotionally and financially to give birth to a baby. It is said that “Age need not be a hindrance to a safe, healthy pregnancy”. However, there are numerous factors related to health, and pregnancy. So, you should consult your doctor and take decision wisely.