Purchasing household products in bulk is considered an effective practice in most houses. Due to time constraints and in an attempt to save money, one tends to purchase items in bulk and keep them for later use. While a good amount of people think it is an effective way, buying in bulk is not always the solution. Is it smart to buy in bulk? The answer in some cases is no. Although the process is an effective costing-cutting means, buying in bulk can be disadvantageous in some cases.
What are the disadvantages of bulk buying?
- Buying perishables in bulk is not a good option as the food might get spoiled due to their limited shelf life
- Lack of space to keep the bulk purchases can affect the storage and cause clutter problems after buying
- Buying in bulk would leave one with little to no options to try any other product
- For example, a person tends to buy a particular soap in bulk but later finds it unappealing. In such cases, the person would be unable to purchase another brand as they have to finish using the one they brought in bulk, if only they are ready to waste the money invested in the product
- Buying in bulk often comes with no refund or return options. It is also not advisable as costly ways buying in bulk is not worth it. So make sure to be careful about the products you buy in bulk
- Sometimes bulk items end up with expired goods as sellers do not wish to waste the items purchased. So beware of the expiration or use before date while buying in bulk
What are the advantages of bulk buying?
Is it smart to buy in bulk? People often prefer bulk buying as it comes with many pros, despite the cons it has. Some of the advantages of bulk buying are:
- Buying in bulk is one of the most effective cost-cutting strategies for your budget, especially in middle-class households
- Bulk buying also saves time for several households by decreasing the shopping time for individuals
- Bulk buying can also reduce packaging costs and materials. The reduction in carbon footprint contributes to effective waste management
What are things you should NOT buy in bulk?
While buying in bulk is a smart and easy way to reduce costs and time consumed, one must be careful as the products they buy play a major role in the practice. Here are some products you should not buy in bulk:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Canned food
- Cooking oil
- Certain cosmetics
- Tissues and other paper products (or make sure to store them properly)
- Baked goods
What are things you can buy in bulk?
The list above might scare you but fear not. Is it smart to buy in bulk? The answer is still yes for certain products that would reduce your costs and have a longer life. Some of the products one can buy in bulk are:
- Pet food
- Stationary essentials (Pens, pencils, crayons, colour pencils, markers)
- Plastic bags
Registration is closed.