Congratulations. You are reading this means you are expecting. Well, It is very essential to eat nutritious food all the time, but it’s more important when you are pregnant. Doctors always say, keep a close look at what you eat during pregnancy, both for your health as well baby’s health. Pregnant women need to be keen about their health and nutrition. Further, they need to avoid any kind of internal infections. Ensure to get calcium, Vitamin C, iron, whole grain and fresh vegetables. During pregnancy, your immune system is weak and your body finds it difficult to fight against any bacteria. So avoid any raw food items such as eggs, fish.
Minerals, Vitamin A, D, protein and fats in eggs, makes it important food during pregnancy. Eggs are rich in omega3. It is good for the health of a pregnant woman. But same time, safety should be considered. It is safe to eat eggs during pregnancy. However, avoid eating raw eggs. Raw eggs contain salmonella bacteria, which is harmful to an unborn baby. To kill bacteria, make sure to thoroughly cook it. Because of this bacteria, egg safety is a major concern. Salmonella bacteria cause for food poisoning. Pregnant women may experience vomiting, dehydration, diarrhea, headaches, abdominal pain and high fever due to salmonella poisoning. So it is good to avoid salmonella, to maintain your good health.
Tips for eating eggs during pregnancy
- For safety purpose, use eggs before the expiry date given on the carton.
- Make sure to store it in original carton so that they should not be in contact with foods and other odors should not penetrate the eggs. It remains fresh for 3-4 weeks in fridge.
- Do not store hard eggs for more days in the fridge.
- Do not use eggs with broken shell, as bacteria or dirt may enter inside quickly.
- So if you want to eat eggs, make sure you should boil it till white and yolk of the eggs become solid.
- Make sure to boil eggs for at least for 5 minutes. It kills salmonella bacteria and eggs become safe to eat.
- Eat eggs immediately after boiling. Also try to avoid eating foods such as ice cream, mousse as it contains raw eggs.
- You can store hard boiled eggs in the fridge for 1 week. Avoid using raw eggs in recipes like sauces, salad dressing or desserts.
- Avoid foods that contain partially cooked eggs. After cooking, eggs become safe to eat.
- Sometimes bacteria found on the shell, so wash and dry your hands after cooking eggs. Wash all utensils which are used while cooking eggs, with soapy, hot water. Also, clean kitchen surface with hot water.
Eggs are safe to eat, the only thing is that you need to take some precaution. If you are ready to follow these, then eggs would surely add to your health.