Around 1.5 million women are diagnosed with breast cancer globally every year. Developed nations like the US, UK, New Zealand and Australia, have the highest recorded breast cancer rate. This is due to the fact that women in developed nations live much longer and eat richer foods.
The older one gets, the higher the risk of breast cancer. Although not very commonly canvassed, a large number of men suffer and die from this disease too.
Some tips to help cut the risk of Breast Cancer are:
- Have your breasts checked by a physician regularly, especially after the age of 40.
- Make it a point to take a mammogram, at least once a year after the age of 40. 2D and 3D mammograms provide accurate results, reducing the need for one to undergo unnecessary biopsies.
- Eat healthy and stay active. Obesity hugely increases a person’s risk of suffering from Breast Cancer.
- Consumption of large amounts of Alcohol increases a person’s risk rate by over 50%. Doctors suggest that if women should drink regularly, it would be best to limit the amount to one drink per day.
- Smoking is harmful to the body and should be avoided; it is the cause of more than one kind of cancer.
- It is adviced that women should breast feed their children for as long as possible. Not only is it good for the child, it is also very healthy for the mother.
- Breast ultrasounds and Breast MRI’s are also viable methods of early detection and can be practiced regularly.
- Although not medically proven, many doctors believe that a person’s abortion rate directs affects the risk rate for breast cancer.
- Exposure to radiation should be totally avoided or kept to a minimum. Studies have shown that radiation exposure increases a person’s risk of breast cancer by almost twice.
- Environmental pollutants affect the body in the long run and can cause breast cancer. Avoid exposure to pollution.
- Use simple and basic cosmetics. Cosmetics and other vanity products often contain a concoction of different chemicals, which when exposed to the body on the long run can cause not just breast cancer.
- Sunscreen with UV filters that mimic estrogen is very harmful to the body because of its absorption rate.
Most fragrances do not disclose their chemical composition because their competitors might take advantage of their products. In the process of suppressing this information, many harmful chemicals that get mixed into the making of the fragrances are also not disclosed. Many fragrances contain harmful chemicals that over long periods of time can cause many body ailments and alterations.
- Skin Lightening and bleaching products are also harmful when consistently used.
- Aluminum absorption by breast tissue should be avoided all together. Choose your antiperspirants wisely; most antiperspirants contain amounts of aluminum, this can cause cancer.
- Women who attain puberty early and reach menopause late face a higher risk of Breast Cancer, because of the body’s prolonged exposure to excessive estrogen.
- Consumption of food products like flaxseed, dark – green leafy vegetables, pomegranates, broccoli, walnuts, berries, turmeric, pepper and nuts are said to help reduce the risk of breast cancer.
It is said that 1 out of 8 women suffer from Breast Cancer. Early detection and treatment reduce the death rate and in many cases even remove the risks completely.
Registration is closed.