Meeting your future in-laws can be intimidating, especially if it is for the first time. You have to understand the fact that once you get married, they are going to be a part of your family.
Here are a few tips that can help you win your way into their hearts:
- Dress the part-The first impression is the best impression. Dress up smartly. Make sure that your outfit is not too casual and doesn’t reveal a lot of skin. The ideal outfit would be a semi formal suit.
- Do not over do the make up-Be natural. You do not want to make them think of you as a painted clown. Simply apply a thin coat of lip gloss, some mascara and your ready to go.
- Bring a gift-Everybody loves receiving gifts. Buying gifts can act as an ice breaker. Ask your boyfriend beforehand, what gift they would love receiving. Usually gifts such as a bottle of wine or some baked goodies are gifts no one can go wrong with.
- Pay compliments-Pay your future in-laws enough compliments so as to make them happy. Compliment their home, dressing style, cooking or any other spontaneous thing you can think about. But remember not to overdo it. It should after all sound genuine.
- Be attentive-Maintain eye contact while talking. Pay attention to what they are saying. Even if you are disinterested, try not to show it in your facial expressions and body language.
- Be polite-Speak politely and take interest in their lives. Do not be rude. Mind your manners at the table.
- Do raise an argument or negate anything said-Do not indulge in conversations with topics that can result in arguments. If they do pass a comment or view that you do not favor, simply smile and ignore it.
- Do not be overly possessive of your boyfriend in front of them-Save the touching, kissing and arm hanging for another day. It sends out the wrong signals to your future mother-in-law. She wouldn’t want to think of you as a vamp who took over her son.
- Saying goodbye-Thank them for the wonderful evening and the scrumptious dinner. And of course, don’t forget to thank them for inviting you.
I’m sure if you follow the above tips, you’ll be called to visit on them again.Try to appear comfortable and relaxed. Don’t be over anxious and be yourself. For all you know, your future in-laws might just as anxious and nervous in meeting you.
Written by : Rasha Ashraf
Registration is closed.